Madison's Missionary Journey - Week 2

Hi everyone! 

This past week, my second week as a missionary, was amazing. I saw so many blessings come into my life and learned of ways I can bless others.

One blessing that came into my life was that, in the space of two weeks, I regained so much mental and physical stamina. This has helped me endure long days and large amounts of stimuli, and I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with this gift. 

On Tuesday, I was given a special project to work on for a while. Someone left a folder with our center, containing some of their family history work for several family lines, and I have the privilege of adding/uploading all needed information onto FamilySearch. In amongst the old pedigree charts and other things, I found the transcription of a letter dating back to 1901 AND a letter that was hand-written several decades later. I was so chuffed about this!! It pulls at my vintage heartstrings!  

I realized how precious this information is and what service I am giving to the people involved in this family by preserving these documents. :) 

We also had so many patrons from different countries visiting us on Tuesday, including Madagascar and Mozambique. Due to this, we had three interpreters there to assist us in communicating with those who only spoke French or Portuguese. 

This is when I met Sebastian, an elderly man from Mozambique, who expressed to me (via the interpreter) the work he wanted to be done for specific ancestors. I was able to help him verify the information and the ordinances he could perform in the temple. Although I didn't speak his language, nor did he understand mine, I knew he knew I was helping him. That was a wonderful feeling. 

On Friday, I was able to help a friend access various sources for finding needed information on FamilySearch. She expressed that she never knew certain sources existed, and thanked me for my help. 

On Sunday afternoon, during my scripture study, I read a recent general conference address by Elder D. Todd Christoffersen. He spoke of how we can prepare for the Savior's Second Coming. One thing he mentioned was the need for participating in family history and temple work. 

He quotes President Russell M. Nelson, who said the "gathering [of Israel] is the most important thing taking place on earth today. Nothing else compares in magnitude, nothing else compares in importance, nothing else compares in majesty. And if you choose to, … you can be a big part of it.” 



I realize that as a missionary in the Family History Center, I am a big part of the gathering of Israel as I help people reach back in time and upwards to heaven to their ancestors. We all have a role to play (and will have many roles to play) in this important work and we must never forget it. 

Much love, 

Sister Erasmus


Comments

Popular Posts