Madison's Missionary Journey - Week 6

Hi everyone!

I apologize for sending this email out so late. Forgive me!

Well, last week was a quiet week. 
The temple is closed for maintenance for two weeks (last week and this week).
 This happens once every year, and during this time the Family History Center is also closed.
 So, I've had the whole of last week off. 
I only head back next week, which will be great because I really miss it! 

(Some of the documents and photos that I will be digitally preserving 
for my family in the next few weeks)

This past week I had the opportunity to work on family history with my mom, on my dad's side of the family.
 I also had an opportunity to look through one of our family history folders with old documents,
 family photos, etc., and I was able to complete some indexing! YAY :) 

(An image of the handwritten baptisms record from 1752 that I was indexing)

The names of places and people one comes across while indexing is intriguing and often hilarious! 
For instance, I was indexing a baptism record for one of the churches 
in Northumberland, England from 1752-1753 
and some interesting names I discovered were: 

o0o

- William Humble, of Hepple (I love the alliteration)
- There was a place called Foul-Loning (this sounds like a name
you'd find in a depressing book like Wuthering Heights)
- Christopher Orpeth, of Snitter (The name sounds super British to me,
then the place name sounds like a creature/place Dr. Seuss would come up with)

- Jonathan Moses, of Rothbury
(honestly sounds like a place in a Jane Austen novel)

o0o

On a more serious note, part of my daily mission requirements is to do an hour of scripture study.
 I am currently studying  The New Testament as part of the Come, Follow Me program,
 The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, 
and the Doctrine and Covenants (the doctrines of our church) for institute class. 


I can't even begin to testify to you how much this habit has and is continuing to change my life weekly! 
Each week, especially these last two weeks, I have felt closer to my Heavenly Father and my Savior. 
One thing I've begun doing as part of my daily study is writing down thoughts and impressions, 
instead of just mulling it over in my head. 
This simple practice has enriched my study of the gospel of Jesus Christ
 by enabling me to really remember what I studied 
and truly internalize my feelings and the whisperings of the Spirit. 
I recommend everyone keep a scripture study journal. 
Write those thoughts down! 

(A page from my scripture study journal)

I'd like to testify of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
 I know it is, as Paul said,  the "power of God unto salvation". 
By drawing closer to the Savior, we will become better, more authentic human beings, 
and we will make the progress we desire. 

Much love,

Sister Erasmus

Comments

Popular Posts