Reading - A daily tradition in our home


The Reading Mother

by Strickland Gillilan (1869–1954)

I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
“Blackbirds” stowed in the hold beneath.
I had a Mother who read me plays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy(and girl)  has a right to know.
I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.
I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy (and girl) heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys (and girls) were such!
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be –
I had a Mother who read to me
 
 
I love this poem! We are a 'reading' family. We read every day!  I love that we all LOVE reading!  One of Madison and Liam's favourite pastimes is spending time browsing in bookstores and the local libraries.  I really like that about them!  We read the scriptures together each day.  We read the scriptures individually each day.  We each have a favourite book that we are reading at the moment and they usually go with us on all our comings and goings...in case there is a 'waiting' moment and we can fill it with reading.  We read our favourite magazines, including our church magazines.  We read our local newspapers.  We read articles printed from the Internet, lesson manuals and anything else of interest to us!  We read in silence.  We read out loud.  We read to each other. We read to ourselves.  We buy books (when we can).  We borrow books.  We give books as gifts.  We make use of the "Free Book Exchange" bookshelves at the Oncology Centre (every time I visit).  We willingly accept any books that others pass our way.  I love the daily reading tradition that we have cultivated in our home. We are blessed because of it.
 
 
"Seek ye out of the best books......"
(Doctrine and Covenants 88:118)
 
pink italics added by me

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts